I finally got all three ice creams made and assembled my gelato cake. It turned out much nicer than I thought it would and looks very pretty on the plate. It is a lot of work to make all three layers from scratch but once it is done you can leave it in the freezer as a good standby dessert which would go down well with kids and adults. I haven't given specific quantities for the ice creams because it is going to depend on the container that you use. Try and use the same amount of scoops for each layer to get some consistency and press down well to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Line a baking tin with baking parchment.
- Crush the biscuits to fine crumbs in a food processor.
- Put the crumbs in a large mixing bowl and add the melted butter, stir thoroughly.
- Tip them into your baking tin, pressing down firmly with a spoon.
- Place in the fridge until set.
- Spoon the chocolate gelato over the crumb base, pressing down evenly.
- Place in the freezer until set.
- Repeat last two steps with the raspberry sorbet.
- Repeat again with the vanilla ice cream.
- Cover with baking parchment and leave in the freezer overnight to firm up.
- When you are ready to serve the gelato cake, remove the parchment, place a serving plate on top, invert the pan and then invert again on to another plate so that it sits base-down.
- Serve in slices.
Written by : Angela Darroch