<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: SAVOURY LAMB STEW

Saturday 5 January 2013

SAVOURY LAMB STEW

 
Today is a duvet day. 
 
It is cold, it is miserable and it is grey, grey, grey. 
 
What do you do on a day like this?  Well, in my house the boys decided to go for an 8km run around a cold, stark lake.  Madness in my mind.  I, on the other hand head for the kitchen.  I decided to make this simple, homely casserole from one of my favourite South African recipe books by Lynn Bedford Hall.  The boys came back from their run to the smell of this lamb stew cooking away in the oven and I had to threaten them with everything under the sun just to keep them from sneaking a piece of lamb before dinner time.
 
My favourite way to eat this stew is with a dollop of mashed potato to soak up all the lovely gravy but we are trying to watch the calories so plain boiled potatoes it had to be. 
 


Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Total time: 1hr 50 minutes

Yield: 4
 
Ingredients
  • 4 (700g) large lamb leg chops
  • 2 ml paprika
  • 2 ml dried thyme
  • 2 ml dried oregano
  • 2 ml curry powder
  • 35 ml flour
  • 2 ml salt
  • olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
  • 375 ml lamb (or beef) stock
  • 1 tin (390g) chopped tomatoes
  • 5 ml brown sugar
  • 10 ml Worcester sauce
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
  2. Cut chops in half to make 8 neat pieces and remove any excess fat.
  3. Mix together the paprika, herbs, curry powder, flour and salt and coat meat on both sides.
  4. Add olive oil to your pan and brown the chops lightly on both sides until nicely coloured.
  5. Transfer to a baking dish to fit closely.
  6. Add a little more oil to your pan, and fry your onions and garlic.
  7. Add any of the remaining flour mixture to the onions and garlic, then add the stock.
  8. Stir well, making sure all the residue from the pan is stirred into the stock.
  9. Add the tomatoes, sugar and Worcester sauce, mixing well.
  10. Remove from the heat and pour over the chops.
  11. Bake, covered for 1 hour 30 minutes.
 
Written by : Angela Darroch       

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 6 January 2013 at 02:12 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

Oh yes, this looks gorgeous and so comforting. It looks like it would be brilliant cooked in a potjie. I am definitely going to give this a go.

 
At 6 January 2013 at 06:16 , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7 January 2013 at 23:55 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

Hi, just scrolling through your blog and all your photos are simply stunning!

 
At 8 January 2013 at 00:54 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

My husband does crazy things like that but he goes mountain biking. It doesn't matter if it's cold or raining. Mostly the forests protect him from the worst of it but I still think he's crazy. A meal like this would be a great comfort meal on a cold miserable day and I think the mashed potato is the way I would go.

 
At 8 January 2013 at 04:09 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mich - I'm still learning the photography side but find it really frustrating. Some days it just all clicks into place, and then some days are just a disaster.

 
At 8 January 2013 at 04:10 , Blogger Unknown said...

Very comforting and perfect for a potjie. Wish we had one over here to try it out.

 
At 8 January 2013 at 04:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

That reminds me - my husband bought himself a mountain bike about 2 years ago but I think he has only ever used once or twice. I might just need to remind him about that.

 
At 9 January 2013 at 03:31 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

A hearty and comforting winter stew...I would love some too!

 
At 9 January 2013 at 04:13 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing I'd cooked a double batch and frozen some for today.

 
At 11 January 2013 at 03:06 , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks good! Nothing can match the smell of a joint of lamb roasting in the oven :-)

 
At 13 January 2013 at 19:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I made this last night in my potjie and it was a real success. Just a very tasty lamb stew made with simple ingredients. A real winner. Would you mind sharing the title of Lynne's book? I would be interested to see if I could track a copy down. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 
At 13 January 2013 at 23:28 , Blogger Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed it. The book is called Best of Cooking in South Africa by Lynn Bedford Hall. I've had my copy for 20+ years so quite old (the book, not me).

 
At 15 January 2013 at 05:40 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

Thanks so much Ang. I see it is still available to purchase so I am off to order a copy. I always enjoy expanding my repertoire of SA dishes and if this lamb stew is anything to go buy, there's obviously some good recipes in there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home