The latest theme for the Bake Along challenge is Celebration Cupcakes.
The girls have been baking together for two years now and I wish them well for the next year and look forward to joining in many more bake along events.
I wanted to make something that was a little bit indulgent as that is what I associate with a celebration. The cupcakes themselves are standard vanilla cupcakes so feel free to use your own tried and tested recipe if you have one. The toffee cream is super indulgent and once you add a bit of caramel sauce over the top you have something worthy of any celebration.
We had nothing in particular to celebrate but it didn't stop us from enjoying every little morsel.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Yield: 8 large or 12 small cupcakes
- 225 g plain flour
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150 ml milk
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Caramel sauce see here for recipe
- For the toffee cream
- 110 g sugar
- 2 tblsp water
- 400 ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas 6.
- Arrange 8 - 12 paper cases in baking tin.
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 mins until golden brown.
- Cool in the tin for 5 mins.
- To make the toffee cream, heat the sugar and water in a pan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. You should not need to stir.
- Continue cooking, and again do not stir, until the sugar turns a golden amber.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the cream into the pan. It will bubble up but not enough to spill over the edge of the pan.
- Stir until well combined.
- Chill well, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the toffee cream until soft peaks form.
- Arrange the toffee cream over the top of the cupcakes.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.
A happy 2nd birthday to the Bake Along girls,
Written by : Angela Darroch