<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: CHOCOLATE AVOCADO TRUFFLES

Wednesday 14 August 2013

CHOCOLATE AVOCADO TRUFFLES

Normally I do my blogging on a Thursday or Friday when I'm at home by myself.  Not so this month as both kids are at home on holiday.  They are both quite good at entertaining themselves but nevertheless it is still just a bit more hectic than usual.  I had a small window of opportunity this morning before I had to take the kids to swimming lessons and thought I would quickly rustle up these delicious little treats of avocado and chocolate truffles.  All went to plan - kids playing contentedly outside while I played with melted chocolate and dusty cocoa powder inside.  That was until the kids popped their heads indoors and spied the bowls of melted chocolate.  By this time I was taking my photographs and was quite engrossed in what I was doing and gave a few vague nods when asked if they could lick the bowls.  Kids quiet - I carried on with my photos.  Most of my photos are taken next to an open door in the dining room and what I hadn't realised was how windy it was today.  Dusty cocoa powder sprinkled over a board with a gust of wind equals dusty cocoa powder all over cream floor tiles.  By this time I'm starting to watch the clock so no time to clean up.  Another dusting of cocoa powder is added to my board and off we go.  Kids run outside - barefoot - through the cocoa powder.  Next time I looked at the clock we had exactly 10 minutes to get ready.   The kids were called in from the garden only for me to discover they were covered in chocolate and cocoa powder. A quick wipe over, toilet check and we were out the door in 10 minutes. I patted myself on the back for arriving on time, got the kids changed, another toilet check and made our way out to the pool past the wash hand basin with the mirror placed conveniently above it.  What! What did I just see?  I stepped back to take another look in the mirror and was horrified to find that I had a generous helping of cocoa powder on my face and through my hair. "Why didn't you tell me?" I shrieked at the kids.  "Well, you always look like that" was the response.  There is not much you can say to that.  I found myself a little corner and hoped nobody would notice as I sat and picked and wiped away chocolate from head to foot.  
 Reminiscent of watching a chimp in a zoo, I'm sure.
  
 

I first came across the idea of combining chocolate and avocado from one of my favourite blogs, Strands of My Life.  I have adapted Suzanne's cupcake topping slightly by adding the melted chocolate to make a lovely rich truffle mixture which is much healthier that the traditional full cream version.  The only downside to using avocado is that the mixture doesn't keep for very long - a couple of days at the most. 
Oh well - I'd better eat up.


Chocolate Avocado Truffles
 

Prep time: 30 minutes (includes resting time)
Cook time: n/a
Total time: 30 minutes (includes resting time)

Yield: 14 small truffles

Ingredients
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 60ml cocoa powder
  • 60ml honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 150g good quality dark chocolate
Cooking Directions
  1. Melt half (75g) of the chocolate in a microwave or over a pan of boiling water.
  2. Remove the flesh from the avocado and place in a small food processor.
  3. Add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, honey and vanilla essence and blend to a smooth consistency. (**Note** make sure to taste at this stage.  You should not be able to taste the avocado and if you do you will need to adjust the amount of chocolate you are using.  It will all depend on the size and variety of avocado you use.)
  4. Place in a shallow dish and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until mixture is firm enough to handle.
  5. Just before removing the mixture from the fridge, melt the remaining chocolate as before.
  6. Using a teaspoon take enough mixture and roll between your hands to form a ball. You might find it easier to dust your hands with some additional cocoa powder to stop the mixture sticking to your hands.
  7. Dip in the melted chocolate and place on a baking tray which has been lined with baking paper,
  8. Decorate with sea salt flakes, chilli or drizzle with white chocolate.
  9. Refrigerate to set completely.


This is my entry for this month's We Should Cocoa which is run by Chocolate Log Blog and Chocolate Teapot.  This month Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary has challenged us to make small chocolates or truffles.


Written by: Angela Darroch

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 14 August 2013 at 13:48 , Blogger Elizabeth said...

These sound absolutely superb, and I lol'd about your cocoa covered face, haha! The texture of these truffles is fantastic, I bet, and they look gorgeous! I want some, now! Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe with We Should Cocoa!

 
At 14 August 2013 at 14:03 , Anonymous Camilla @FabFood4All said...

Ooh these look utterly gorgeous and I love the fact that they are quite healthy too. I don't think it's relevant that they only last 2 days as how would they last any longer LOL:-)

 
At 14 August 2013 at 14:47 , Blogger Unknown said...

How life changes when you have kids. A few years ago I would have been mortified if this had happened to me. No time to think about it now.

 
At 14 August 2013 at 19:31 , Blogger Unknown said...

Avocadoes in chocolate! I love love love this! Can I buy them off you?

 
At 15 August 2013 at 01:43 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Camilla. I love that the children don't realise that they are eating avocado :-)

 
At 15 August 2013 at 01:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL - I'm not sure they would make it all the way to Singapore.

 
At 15 August 2013 at 04:56 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

These truffles look heavenly, Angela.

 
At 15 August 2013 at 06:25 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

I don't think there is a messier job than making truffles! I'm just about to go and flick cocoa powder round my kitchen too for WSC ;-) Love the idea of using avocado and, as ever, the results are so professional. Beautiful photos.

 
At 16 August 2013 at 08:05 , Anonymous Rebecca said...

I often leave the house with chocolate stuck to me and I don't even have kids to blame it on! Your truffles look beautiful!

 
At 17 August 2013 at 23:04 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

Oh yum! You have made these look so good. I love how you have dipped the mixture in chocolate They wouldn't last more than a day in my house.

 
At 20 August 2013 at 14:32 , Anonymous Aimee / Wallflower Girl said...

Beautiful truffles and I'm so intrigued by the idea of chocolate with avocado, I must give that combination a try some time!

 
At 22 August 2013 at 06:15 , Blogger Choclette said...

Haha, I have that problem too - CT never tells me when I've got something all over my face. I usually discover it, after I've been at work for an hour or two :(

Love your truffles. Using avocado and chocolate together has been on my list of things to do for a while. I still can't quite imagine how it would taste. Your presentation is always superb. Really like the rustic basket and the white chocolate drizzle. Thank you for this gorgeous entry to We Should Cocoa.

 
At 17 September 2013 at 19:16 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

I felt the same too... Blogging with kids - Nay! Simply too difficult. This is why I have not been hearing from you recently...

I have been using avocado to make sweets but I reckon this combination sounds extremely heavenly to me.

Zoe

 
At 23 September 2013 at 21:54 , Blogger Kalyan Panja said...

Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home