<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: BLUEBERRY & THYME CURD TARTS

Saturday 27 July 2013

BLUEBERRY & THYME CURD TARTS

These blueberry and thyme tarts were inspired by nothing more than my love for all things purple.  I had just seen Jen's gorgeous blackcurrant & vanilla eclairs and decided I wanted to make something as colourful and vibrant and came up with these little tarts.  There wasn't much of the thyme flavour noticeable so I would probably try adding a bit more next time.  The blueberry curd is finger licking good and would look and taste lovely on any sponge cake or just served with clotted cream and scones. 


BLUEBERRY & THYME CURD TARTS
 

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
 
Yield: 6 individual tarts
 
Ingredients
  • 250g fresh blueberries
  • 3 sprigs of thyme
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 50g butter
  • 225g caster sugar
  • Ā½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 6 shortcrust pastry cases
  • 80mls whipping cream
Cooking Directions
  1. Put the blueberries, thyme, lemon juice and a teaspoon of water into a pan and bring to the boil.
  2. Simmer for 10 minutes until the fruit is very soft.
  3. Remove from the heat and push the fruit through a sieve set over a bowl to extract as much juice as possible.
  4. Put the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and blueberry juice into a pan and heat until the butter has fully melted.
  5. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down slightly before adding the beaten eggs.
  6. Return to the heat and keep stirring for 20 - 25 minutes until thickened. The mixture will thicken further once cooled down.
  7. I prefer to strain through a sieve once thickened just to remove any lumps.
  8. Whip the cream until soft peak stage.
  9. Add the blueberry curd to the cream (reserving some curd for decoration) and mix well.
  10. Pour into the tart cases and smooth the tops.
  11. Stir some of the reserved curd through the mixture to decorate.
  12. Refrigerate until set.
I am entering these into this months Tea Time Treats challenge hosted alternately by Karen at Lavender & Lovage and Kate of What Kate Baked as this months challenge is fresh fruit.
 

 
Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

At 27 July 2013 at 11:02 , Anonymous Jen @ Blue Kitchen Bakes said...

These are beautiful and I'm so happy my eclairs inspired you to make something so colourful. These are even better as I cheated by using food colouring!

The combination of blueberry and thyme is not something I've seen before and it sounds really interesting :)

 
At 28 July 2013 at 01:47 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

I have to try your blueberry curd! These tarts look so beautiful, Angela.

 
At 28 July 2013 at 23:20 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

This looks super delicious. Blueberries is one of the fruits I can eat so I appreciate this recipe.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:43 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jen - I'm definitely drawn to vibrant colours when cooking and your eclairs were such a gorgeous colour.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

The curd is delicious and such a gorgeous colour. Hope you do try it.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:47 , Blogger Unknown said...

It is such a lovely fruit for eating and cooking with. Just as well it is on your 'good' list.

 
At 30 July 2013 at 07:17 , Blogger Karen S Booth said...

SUCH a brilliant entry for Tea Time Treats thanks Angela and such a lovely photo too. I have loved experimenting with different curds this year and this one looks fabulous, especially in the tarts. Karen

 
At 30 July 2013 at 19:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

What a stunning colour!

 
At 1 August 2013 at 06:09 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

Angela - these are beautiful! You are such a gifted photographer :-) I wonder if using lemon thyme would make a difference?

 
At 1 August 2013 at 15:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Karen. I am normally disappointed when I try new curds as they never match up to lemon curd but this one was delicious.

 
At 1 August 2013 at 15:46 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you - I love hearing from new visitors.

 
At 4 August 2013 at 06:32 , Blogger Choclette said...

Those tarts certainly look finger licking good. You've made them look so pretty. As a maker of many fruit curds, I have yet to try blueberry. Thyme is a lovely addition, but it is hard to judge just how much to add.

 
At 4 August 2013 at 11:39 , Blogger Unknown said...

If only you knew how difficult I find the photography side of blogging but I do appreciate your lovely comment. In all my time of cooking I don't think I have ever used lemon thyme so I might try that next time. Thanks.

 
At 14 August 2013 at 15:20 , Blogger The Baking Explorer said...

Wow these look stunning and so yummy! The beautiful bright purple makes me want to dive right it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home