<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: BAKED BUTTERNUT

Friday 19 July 2013

BAKED BUTTERNUT

This month's Feel Good Food challenge is Maple syrup.  Now I have to admit to being slightly disappointed when I heard what the ingredient was. I have always found Maple syrup to be overpriced and I just can't get used to the consistency.  I guess it is just what you are used to.  However, in the spirit of the challenge I bought myself some middle of the range Canadian syrup and was shocked to read that my little bottle required 13 litres of tree sap .  No wonder it is so expensive! 
 
So, now to find something healthy to cook with my new acquisition.  This has proved harder than I thought.  There are plenty of recipes for sweet, sticky ribs, flapjacks, biscuits, cakes but nothing that I would term healthy.  The best that I have been able to come up with is this very traditional South African way of cooking butternut.  South Africans like their vegetables cooked with butter and brown sugar so I thought I would make it 'slightly' healthier by using Maple syrup instead of the brown sugar.  Victoria of A Kick At The Pantry Door has assured us that Maple syrup is a healthier option. I haven't cooked butternut like this for many years as my husband likes his vegetable au naturale.  When I dished these up on his plate his first reaction was one of pleasure but he was quick to ask how I had done them.  Needless to say, as nice as this dish is I don't think we will be eating it every week. 
One to bring out for that special occasion I think.


BAKED BUTTERNUT
 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
 
Yield: Serves 4
 
 
Ingredients
  • 500g butternut, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • 50g butter
  • 2 tblsps maple syrup
  • 2 sticks cinnamon
  • Smoked paprika
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Place the butternut in a roasting tin with the cinnamon stick.
  3. Melt the butter and syrup together and pour over the butternut.
  4. Lightly dust with smoked paprika.
  5. Baked, covered with foil for 45 to 60 minutes.
  6. For the last 10 minutes, remove the foil to let the liquid evaporate.
 
Written by : Angela Darroch
 



Labels:

16 Comments:

At 20 July 2013 at 03:28 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

I prefer baked veggies. Your baked butternut squash looks great!

 
At 20 July 2013 at 05:55 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

I love South African style baked butternut and your version sounds delicious. I'll have to give this a go.

 
At 20 July 2013 at 21:08 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, love the use of maple syrup, will try it sometime...

 
At 22 July 2013 at 22:41 , Blogger kitchen flavours said...

Your baked butternut looks good! Maple syrup is indeed extremely expensive over here, more so because they are all fully imported! Really wish they are more affordable!
Have a great week, Angela!

 
At 23 July 2013 at 20:59 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

I'm a big fan of maple syrup too but never use it for roasting vegetable. Like the way how you use maple syrup to bake these butternut.

Zoe

 
At 25 July 2013 at 04:03 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

How indulgent Angela! As you say, nice every once in a while. I must remember this way of serving butternut squash for later in the year!

 
At 25 July 2013 at 13:31 , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Mmm this sounds lovely. I agree about maple syrup being expensive, I don't have any in the cupboard this month and really can't afford to buy any so I can't enter this month's challenge. :( I do like glazing carrots julienne with it though, when I do have it.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:29 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Angie and like you I prefer my butternut baked rather than boiled.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been away so long now that I had almost forgotten how nice it is to add a bit of sweetness to butternut.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mich

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

I now have to find some more recipes to use up the rest of the maple syrup. Such a hard job being a blogger :-)

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh you have to try this at least once. It is so good.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:39 , Blogger Unknown said...

Butternut is probably the vegetable that we eat the most of - at least once a week. Just not with maple syrup though.

 
At 29 July 2013 at 14:40 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes carrots are another favourite - but we normally add butter and brown sugar.

 
At 30 July 2013 at 01:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela!
There is a great Maple Syrup what you can get for a very good price! Clarks Maple Syrup. They Sell it in Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and also Morrison's. They have small bottles of Pure Maple Syrup which costs about £2,68 or also they have blended Maple Syrup which is great for cooking because of it's price...You Can get it from Tesco's for £1,98... Thanks for your recipe, I will definitely try it, looks delicious!

 
At 4 August 2013 at 11:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I always love to hear from new visitors. I will definitely have a look for that brand as it does seem very reasonable. Hope you enjoy the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home