<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: STRAWBERRY & CREAM LAYER CAKE

Sunday 16 June 2013

STRAWBERRY & CREAM LAYER CAKE

In the build up to Fathers Day I asked my hubby if he had any preference as to how he would like to spend it.  "How about you do the barbecue this week" was the reply.  "Uh, ok if that's really what you want" was my less than enthusiastic response "but what if it rains?"  "Ok, then I would like a big juicy steak with mushroom sauce and roasted butternut."  Now that is more like it but I still wanted something a bit more extravagant.  "How about a dessert?" I tried.  "Nah, no thanks" and that was that.  No fun for me in the kitchen on Fathers Day.  Well, that is until I saw the theme for The Sunday Baking Club which is Summer Sunshine Week. 
 
 
Now I don't think I've seen the sun all week but summer to me is fresh strawberries and lashings of cream. I had bought this chocolate transfer sheet from Squires Kitchen a while ago and was desperate to try it out so what more of an excuse does a girl need.
 
  Into the kitchen I went and whipped up a four layer sponge cake but later decided that would just be completely over the top so only used three of the layers.
 I then blended some of the less than perfect strawberries together with some icing sugar and a dash of lemon juice to make a lovely, tangy strawberry sauce.
  I then whipped up some fresh cream and chopped up some fresh strawberries. I layered all this together and then moved on to the fun part.
  I melted some dark chocolate and spread this over the transfer sheet and placed it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so until it set.
I then removed it from the fridge and peeled the transfer sheet off and revealed the most beautiful piece of chocolate with strawberries on it.
  I broke this up into shards and placed them round my cake.
I added some whole strawberries on the top and drizzled with some more strawberry sauce and hey presto - a cake full of British Summer goodness.
 
So for all the special Dads out there but especially for my Dad and my hubby
HAPPY FATHERS DAY
 
 
I used the sponge mixture from here but only because I like a dense sponge.  Any good Victoria sponge recipe will do.
 
 
 Tea Time Treats which is hosted by What Kate Baked  and Lavender and Lovage has a theme of layer cakes this month so here we go ....
 

I'm also submitting this to A Mummy Too's weekly blog hop

 

Labels: , , ,

30 Comments:

At 16 June 2013 at 13:47 , Anonymous Evelyn said...

Strawberries and Cream = HEAVEN. Must run in the family. Your cake looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
Mum

 
At 17 June 2013 at 02:55 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

o gosh..the colour looks amazing! I wish I could have a large slice now!

 
At 17 June 2013 at 13:23 , Blogger Lauren Roffey said...

This looks AMAZING!! Seriously cool :)

 
At 18 June 2013 at 03:37 , Anonymous Alison said...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!

 
At 18 June 2013 at 03:46 , Blogger Unknown said...

High praise indeed but I've had good tutoring over the years :-)

 
At 18 June 2013 at 03:48 , Blogger Unknown said...

The colours were so vibrant - a real 'happy' cake.

 
At 18 June 2013 at 03:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lauren - the chocolate transfers were so easy to use and makes an ordinary cake look really special.

 
At 18 June 2013 at 03:51 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Alison - just wish we had the sun to go with my summer cake ;-)

 
At 18 June 2013 at 07:32 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

Simply STUNNING! I've never heard of chocolate transfers. What a clever idea. And what a lucky OH getting this for Father's Day. Yum!

 
At 18 June 2013 at 10:08 , Anonymous Charly Dove said...

Wow that looks divine :)

 
At 18 June 2013 at 10:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

He doesn't eat desserts so it wasn't really for him. I'm forever hopeful that I will convert him though.

 
At 18 June 2013 at 10:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Charly. It is always lovely to have new visitors to my blog.

 
At 19 June 2013 at 12:11 , Blogger Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Oh my! What a Cake! Thank you for your gorgeous entry into TTT!

 
At 19 June 2013 at 21:08 , Anonymous Monet said...

Oh my goodness, now if only you could send me a slice! What a gorgeous cake and such classic combo. You can't go wrong with strawberries and cream!

 
At 19 June 2013 at 23:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Kate - it was all my pleasure.

 
At 19 June 2013 at 23:28 , Blogger Unknown said...

A virtual slice just wouldn't be the same now would it? LOL Thanks for the lovely comment.

 
At 20 June 2013 at 23:59 , Blogger kitchen flavours said...

Hi Angela,
Wow! That is a beautiful cake! The choc with the strawberries is just so pretty! Love it!

 
At 21 June 2013 at 04:17 , Anonymous anna @ annamayeveryday said...

This cake is amazing!! Well done, beautifully made. Lots of recipes here I would like to try, mint brownies pretty high on that list!

 
At 22 June 2013 at 00:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much Joyce

 
At 22 June 2013 at 00:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your lovely comment. The funny thing is that it is just a plain old sponge cake but with some fancy chocolate decorations :-)

 
At 22 June 2013 at 05:38 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

Oh Angela sorry I didn't spot this earlier - I blame the changeover from Google reader. What a beautiful way to celebrate Father's day for your dad and your hubby. So professional looking. I hope they were both tickled pink :-)

 
At 22 June 2013 at 07:52 , Blogger Unknown said...

Well my Dad lives in France and my hubby doesn't eat desserts so it was more about me looking for an excuse to make something nice.

 
At 22 June 2013 at 20:15 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

What fun that transfer is - I have never seen one before. I would have loved to have seen inside the layer cake - it would be so pretty. Adriano doesn't have a sweet tooth either, which can be disappointing but he likes my baked goodies because they have to be low sugar for me.

 
At 23 June 2013 at 13:50 , Anonymous Camilla @FabFood4All said...

What an absolutely stunning cake Angela, it looks like pure cake architecture and I best it tasted fab too as you can't beat English strawberries:-)

 
At 23 June 2013 at 19:17 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

Please pardon my short "disappearance"... I was away for two short holidays :p

Your layer cake looks very pretty! Your pretty cake does remind me that Doreen from my little fav DIY has given me a couple of chocolate transfer sheet. Got to use these transfer sheet too.

Btw, hope that you will like baking Little Teochew's cotton soft cheesecake too. This recipe is fantastic!

Zoe

 
At 30 June 2013 at 14:22 , Anonymous Emily @amummytoo said...

Oh wow those are shards of chocolate?! That's so cool! Thanks for linking up with #recipeoftheweek :) There's a new one live now (look for the quiche on the home page!), if you want to join in x

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:04 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Emily - will be over to have a look.

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:05 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh you must give them a try as they are so easy to use.

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:06 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Camilla - I do love fresh strawberries which are in season.

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:07 , Blogger Unknown said...

Probably best not to see inside as it is not nearly as healthy as all your lovely recipes LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home