<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: KASHMIRI CHICKEN

Friday 5 April 2013

KASHMIRI CHICKEN

Many, many moons ago when I lived on my own I used to treat myself to some deliciously hot and spicy curries.  The kind of curry that clears your sinuses and leaves your mouth numb for hours after.  That all changed when I met my husband. He was a meat and two veg man and so as to not scare him off I toned down my taste for all things spicy.  Next came the kids and once again I have had to change the way I cook a curry.  There is now almost no heat, just the delicious mix of different spices.  How I love a curry takeaway these days when I can order my very own vindaloo. 
 This recipe for Kashmiri Chicken is one that we all love.  It is definitely not a hot curry but the combination of cardamom, chilli and paprika are delicious.  My 4 year old describes it as "the curry I can't get enough of."  As a Mum, that is music to my ears.
 
 
 
For the printable version - click here


Kashmiri Chicken

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
 
Yield: 4
 
Ingredients
  • 25g ghee or butter
  • 2 large onions, thinly sliced
  • 10 whole peppercorns
  • seeds from 10 cardamom pods, crushed
  • small cinnamon stick
  • small knob of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 tsps paprika
  • 600 g skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
  • 100 g frozen peas
  • 250 ml natural yogurt
 
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Melt the ghee or butter in a wok.  Add the onions, peppercorns, crushed cardamom seeds and cinnamon and fry for about 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden.
  2. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli powder, paprika and salt to taste and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the chicken pieces and fry until they are evenly browned and cooked through.
  4. Add the peas and fry until cooked.
  5. Gradually add the yogurt, stirring constantly until heated through.
  6. If sauce is too thick, add a touch of water to thin it out.
  7. Serve hot with rice and lime wedges.
 
** The curry does tend to curdle when adding the yogurt but I find if I leave it to cool down and then reheat again, the sauce blends together but you will need to add some water to thin it out a bit.       
    Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 6 April 2013 at 01:48 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

I can't get enough of this curry chicken too!

 
At 6 April 2013 at 02:08 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake. said...

This looks absolutely mouth-watering. I love the flavors and spices in this chicken recipe.

 
At 6 April 2013 at 02:52 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

Truly delicious. You cannot beat a good curry (the hotter the better), I never tire of the dish! My husband was never used to having spicy dishes but gradually he has become accustomed to the taste and I'm grateful it features heavily in our diet!

 
At 6 April 2013 at 18:46 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

What a shame you can't eat hot curries any more but it sounds like your 4-year-old is coming on board. It's all about education. LOL.

 
At 10 April 2013 at 10:51 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

I am a total wimp when it comes to hot food but I do love spices so this curry sounds right up my street.

 
At 15 April 2013 at 09:46 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Angie - chicken curry is one of my favourite's too.

 
At 15 April 2013 at 09:48 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think fresh cardamom has such a lovely aroma. I love cooking with it.

 
At 15 April 2013 at 09:48 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think this might be a bit tame for you. We will have to meet up for a real curry one day.

 
At 15 April 2013 at 09:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been educating the little ones since before they were born so it is not for the lack of trying :-)

 
At 15 April 2013 at 09:51 , Blogger Unknown said...

The combination of spices is lovely and you could cut the chilli down even further.

 
At 16 April 2013 at 02:03 , Anonymous Camilla @FabFood4All said...

Ooh Angela, I think you've just solved my problem of what to make for dinner tonight as I think I have all these ingredients and you curry sounds yummy. My husband is the opposite of yours and my son loves really spicy food too, I couldn't eat a Vindaloo like you though it just sets my mouth on fire:-)

 
At 16 April 2013 at 02:07 , Blogger Unknown said...

This might be a bit mild for them unless you add more chilli.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home