<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: RED LENTIL SOUP

Thursday 3 January 2013

RED LENTIL SOUP

Well that's it for another year.  Christmas decorations have been packed away, the fridge cleared out and hubby sent back to work.  As much as I love Christmas, I do enjoy the process of sorting out and cleaning up afterwards.  It makes me feel calm - everything in its right place again. 
 
On the food side it feels good to be back to healthy eating again.  I made a big pot of this lentil soup today.  Warm, comforting with just a hint of chilli and best of all it's low fat.
 
It is also perfect for freezing.
 

For the printable version - click here
 
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
 
Yield: 6
 
 
Ingredients
  • 1 tblsp olive oil
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 4 carrots, finely diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 0.5 tsp dried chilli flakes
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 tins (800g) chopped tomatoes
  • 200g red lentils
  • 2500ml vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper
 
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oil and cook the onion, thyme & carrots for about 4 minutes until just soft.
  2. Add the garlic, chilli and mustard seeds and cook for a further couple of minutes.
  3. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils and stock and bring to the boil.
  4. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Blend until smooth or leave chunky.
 
TIP - Store your fresh thyme in the freezer.  When you need to use it just give it a shake and the leaves will drop off the stems.
      
Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 3 January 2013 at 18:17 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

That is a very healthy looking soup and I love the colour. So many soups are dull and don't look appetising even if they taste great.
I know what you mean about getting everything tidied away. I am almost at the end of a two-week break from work and I have organised so much, I feel quite virtuous.

 
At 4 January 2013 at 12:01 , Anonymous Camilla @Fabfood4all.co.uk said...

Your blog is absolutely fabulous as is this soup, please join Twitter as it's the only way I remember to look at people's blogs when they remind me to take a peek at their latest recipe:-)

 
At 4 January 2013 at 12:15 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Camilla - will try it out this weekend.

 
At 4 January 2013 at 16:08 , Blogger Elizabeth said...

That looks and sounds gorgeous! Bookmarked!

 
At 5 January 2013 at 03:14 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Suzanne - it is probably one of my favorites.

 
At 7 January 2013 at 17:56 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

Hi Angela,
So glad to have found your blog! Thanks for the comment :-) This soup looks truly delicious. I am a big fan of lentil soup but I've never tried it with tomatoes so it's on my list to make :-)

 
At 8 January 2013 at 04:39 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jacqueline - I think the tomatoes help to give it the lovely rich colour.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home