<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: POTATO CAKES WITH PIQUANTE PEPPER SALSA

Friday 18 January 2013

POTATO CAKES WITH PIQUANTE PEPPER SALSA

Today's post is not so much about a recipe but more about one of my favourite food products, the Peppadew pepper.

    
I'll start by saying that I was not paid to write about these little beauties, nor do I work for the company - I just love them.  The combination of the wonderfully sweet brine which they are preserved in together with the heat from the peppers is a marriage made in heaven.  I'm not sure about you but I have succumbed to buying those stuffed peppers that they sell on the High Street on market day and I'm disappointed every time.  They generally tend to be a bit squidgy and break down into nothing when you try to pick one up.  Well, the answer is to buy  a jar of these little lovelies and fill them yourself with some cream cheese. You won't be disappointed, the crispness of the peppers together with the smooth, creaminess of the cream cheese.  Delicious.
 
Now I may be accused of being slightly biased towards this product because they originate from South Africa but try them for yourself. 
 
It will be love at first bite. 
 
If not, I will send you my postal address and you can send me the remainder of your jar. 
 
 
 

Enough said about the peppers. The meal below is my idea of comfort food. If you have left over mashed potato then make up a batch of these potato cakes . You don't need to be too precise with the ingredients. A bit of this and bit of that is normally what goes on. You can't really go wrong with hot, fried mashed potato and of course topped with the Peppadew salsa it is heaven.
 
 


Because I've used leftover mashed potato I am going to submit this to Turquoise Lemons - No Waste Food Challenge which is being hosted over at Elizabeth's Kitchen for this month.



For the printable version - click here


Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
 
Yield: 1 serving
 
 
Ingredients
 
SALSA
  • 1/2 tblsp olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, sliced
  • 150 g Peppadew mild piquante peppers, sliced in half
  • 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
  • small handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
 
POTATO CAKES
  • 1 cup mashed potato
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 tblsp flour
  • 1 tblsp red onion, finely chopped
  • small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
Cooking Directions

To make the salsa
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
  2. Add the balsamic vinegar and basil, season and warm through for 2 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
To make the potato cakes
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the potato, cheese, flour, chopped onion and parsley.
  2. On a separate plate, have some flour ready for dredging the potato cakes.
  3. Measure out equal parts of the potato mixture and shape each one into a pattie using your hands. Dredge in the flour.
  4. Add some sunflower oil to a non stick frying pan and lightly saute each pattie for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
To serve
  1. Stack the potato cakes on your serving plate, spooning your warm salsa over and around them.
  2. Add some fresh basil leaves on top.   
 
Written by : Angela Darroch           

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 18 January 2013 at 05:50 , Anonymous thelittleloaf said...

Your little cakes look lovely! Just want I want to eat tonight to keep me warm and snug from the snow!

 
At 18 January 2013 at 05:55 , Blogger Unknown said...

I had mine last night but wishing I had more for tonight. Stay warm and safe.

 
At 18 January 2013 at 08:20 , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Those look perfectly heavenly! I want some.... now! Thank you ever so much for entering them into the No Waste Food Challenge. Fabulous, fabulous photos as well!

 
At 18 January 2013 at 09:31 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the lovely comment - glad I was able to enter.

 
At 18 January 2013 at 11:31 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

Amazing clicks! o..these will be my favourite comfort food too.

 
At 18 January 2013 at 16:57 , Blogger The Baking Explorer said...

This looks yummy, although I have to say I was more attracted to the potato cakes. I love potato cakes but have never made my own, I will have to try out this recipe!

 
At 19 January 2013 at 03:44 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

Oh my, look at those gorgeous photos! I want to eat a plateful.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 04:29 , Blogger Karen S Booth said...

Gorgeous photos and lovely left over dish - looks too good to be leftovers! Karen

 
At 19 January 2013 at 05:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be negotiating a fee for every jar of peppers sold on the basis of your photos! Sounds (and looks) like a really tasty way to use up leftovers.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Angie. Struggling with poor light these days.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:06 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

Your potato cakes look so perfectly formed. Mine are usually a bit more random. I can just imagine the flavour of this with the tang of those peppers against the mildness of the potato.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:09 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I can imagine the salsa would not be to everyone's taste.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:11 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mich but this is one dish I keep all to myself.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:18 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hubby normally eats all the leftovers so I don't often get the chance to make this for myself.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

If only it was that easy. Thanks for the lovely comment

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:50 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your food is always so beautifully presented I can't imagine them being very random. You're so right about the flavour combination.

 
At 20 January 2013 at 06:52 , Blogger Vicki Bensinger said...

What a stunning photo! I love peppedews but it never occurred to me to use them in a salsa, great idea. I usually stuff them. Nice recipe.

 
At 30 June 2013 at 05:13 , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks gorgeous and made my mouth water. Definitely want to try making it. Beautiful photography and great recipe.

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:09 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Vicki. I love using these peppers because apart from the flavor they are such a lovely vibrant colour to add to dishes

 
At 1 July 2013 at 08:12 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you - high praise indeed from someone who takes such lovely photos.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home