<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: PEAR SOUFFLE

Saturday 19 January 2013

PEAR SOUFFLE

When I first discovered the Classic French challenge over on Blue Kitchen Bakes I was more than happy to participate. I have strong ties to France and love everything about their whole way of life. When January's theme was announced I knew it would be a good chance for me to try out the classic souffle - something I haven't made since my early days of cooking. My last attempt was a bit of a disaster. I can remember we had some friends over for dinner and I had prepared everything for the souffle up until the addition of egg whites. We had our first and second course along with copious amounts of wine. The time came to finish off my souffles. Disaster - they were as flat as a pancake. The taste was still good and everyone very kindly finished them off. It was only when we went to tidy up and I found the bowl of egg whites that I realised my mistake. A souffle with no egg whites does not a souffle make.
 
 So fast forward to 2013 and with lessons learnt I'm ready to master the souffle. My Mum had been raving about these pear souffles so I knew what I would make. When she sent me the recipe she put a little note at the bottom telling me that I had about 2 minutes to photograph them before they would collapse. 2 minutes - are you serious? I have only just progressed from taking my camera off its Auto setting. Exposure, Aperture, ISO etc. are all new terms to me and do not come naturally. We also have absolutely no decent natural light at the moment which makes things even harder. I thought I would give it a try and with everything set up close at hand I made my first batch. One click, two clicks, three clicks, flat souffles and of course no decent images. Next batch in the oven, one click, two clicks, three clicks, flat souffles, lighting has changed and exposure settings wrong. Next batch in the oven, perfect souffles, lighting much the same, this time it's going to work, trip over my tripod, flat souffles. Next batch in the oven (yes I really do have that much patience), souffles even better than the last, manage to avoid the tripod, lighting as good as it's going to get, press the button, nothing happens, press again in desperation, nothing happens, check the camera, battery flat.
 Accept defeat.
 
 So after all that - were the souffles good?
Yes, they were.
 
They had much more flavour than I ever imagined they would. As expected, they were light and airy and this is my only problem with them.  I don't often get to eat desserts so when I do I want something with a bit of substance, something that I can savour over time. These souffles were delicious but gone in a flash, leaving me wanting more. 
 
So here we have my shaky, rather dull photo of what is a delicious pear souffle.
  

For the printable version - click here

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
 
Yield: 4
 
Ingredients
  • 6 large ripe pears
  • 50 ml granulated sugar
  • 125 ml pear juice (I used Copella Apple & Pear juice )
  • 3 eggs separated
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • small amount of butter and caster sugar for the ramekins
 
Cooking Directions

Preheat oven to 190 deg C
  1. To prepare your ramekins, brush with melted butter and coat thoroughly with caster sugar.
  2. Peel, core and chop the pears.
  3. Poach with the sugar and pear juice until liquid is reduced by half.
  4. Puree.
  5. Add cornflour and egg yolks to the puree and warm through to thicken, stirring constantly.
  6. Beat egg whites to medium peak stage.
  7. Add a 1/4 of the egg white mixture to the pear custard and mix in well.
  8. Fold the remaining egg white mixture into the egg custard.
  9. Fill your ramekins with your mixture and smooth over the top with a pallet knife.
  10. Run your finger round the edges to make a small indent.
  11. Bake for 9 - 10 minutes.
  12. Sift over some icing sugar and serve immediately.     
 
I am going to enter this into the Classic French challenge run by Jen over at Blue Kitchen Bakes.
 
      
 
Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 20 January 2013 at 06:48 , Blogger Vicki Bensinger said...

Oh how frustrating to prepare this so many times only to realize the battery was low. Beautiful soufflé and I love that you baked it directly in a mug. I will have to try that.

Lovely blog, so glad I stopped by.

 
At 20 January 2013 at 07:30 , Blogger Unknown said...

Only myself to blame. Glad you stopped by.

 
At 20 January 2013 at 09:48 , Anonymous Laura Loves Cakes said...

What a fabulous souffle...sounds lovely! There seem to be a number of pear recipes about at the moment but I particularly like this one. Re the photography I know the feeling, the light is so dull...but your photo looks fab, really professional and not shaky and dull at all! :-)

 
At 20 January 2013 at 12:32 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

The photo looks fine but loved the description of your photography woes. You must have ended up with heaps of souffles but they look very special in the cups.

 
At 20 January 2013 at 23:56 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

Oh these souffles look amazing! I'm gonna try make them.

 
At 21 January 2013 at 00:00 , Blogger Unknown said...

I look forward to seeing your lovely pics.

 
At 21 January 2013 at 00:01 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes I did - not one of my best days in the kitchen.

 
At 21 January 2013 at 00:06 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Laura. It was a bit of a struggle to find ripe, juicy pears. Not sure why the supermarkets sell them when they are so hard.

 
At 21 January 2013 at 07:00 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

The souffle has risen perfectly! Simply beautiful!

 
At 21 January 2013 at 07:09 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Angie

 
At 21 January 2013 at 10:59 , Anonymous evelyn said...

WOW!!!!!! That is a souffle. They look stunning. Love the individual cup!

 
At 24 January 2013 at 13:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

I thought you might like the cups - all the way from France.

 
At 28 January 2013 at 02:39 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

But Ang, that's a beautiful photo! And I love the mug too. And I love anything with pears. All in all, a LOVELY post and puts my souffles to shame :-(

 
At 29 January 2013 at 14:42 , Blogger Unknown said...

I did have a laugh after I had finished this post to think how many I made. Not sure why we do it to ourselves but that is blogging for you.

 
At 30 January 2013 at 09:47 , Blogger Unknown said...

That souffle has a fanatastic rise to it, you should be very proud. Thanks for entering into Classic Frencn this month :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home