<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES

Monday 14 January 2013

LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES

I had a tiny bit of lemon curd left over from whoopie pies which I had made last week.  Normally I would treat myself to some hot buttery toast with the lemon curd but as I have decided to try and enter some challenges this year I decided to be a bit more creative.   As I didn't have very much lemon curd I only baked half the quantity and ended up with 3 gorgeous little cupcakes for today's treat. 
I used a meringue cuite mixture only because the kids would eat one and I wanted to make sure the eggs were cooked.  It is a little more work than normal because you have to whisk over a hot stove for 10 minutes but if you ever need meringues to hold their shape whilst cooking then this is the perfect solution. 
 You can also keep this meringue mixture in the fridge for up to a week and it will still pipe beautifully.
 
 
 
 
 
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
 
Yield: 6 large cupcakes
 
 
Ingredients
  • 110 g butter
  • 110 g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 110 g self raising flour
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp custard powder
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 50 ml lemon curd
  • 2 egg whites
  • 115 g icing sugar
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C (160 for fan oven). Place 6 large paper cases in a cupcake tin.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and stir in the vanilla.
  3. Sift in the flour, salt and custard powder and lightly fold into the mixture alternately with the eggs until well blended.
  4. Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.
  5. When the cakes have completely cooled, cut out a hole the size of a 2p coin from the centre of each cake. Fill with lemon curd.
         To make the meringue cuite           
  1. Sieve the icing sugar into a heat resistant bowl with the egg white.
  2. Place your bowl over a half-full pan of simmering - not boiling - water, whisk with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and glossy, approximately 10 minutes.
  3. Place the meringue mixture into a piping bag and pipe on top of the cupcakes.
  4. Increase the oven temperature to 230 deg C and bake the cupcakes for a further 5 minutes or use a cooks blowtorch to brown the tops.
 
I am submitting this for Tea Time Treats hosted by Lavender and Lovage and What Kate Baked     
 
 
 
Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At 14 January 2013 at 12:55 , Blogger Zoe said...

Now I know what to bake if I have any leftover lemon curd... These cupcakes look great!

 
At 14 January 2013 at 14:27 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Zoe. They made a nice change from the usual cupcakes.

 
At 14 January 2013 at 18:42 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

Such beautiful cupcakes! Your photos make me feel like reaching into the screen for one of them.

 
At 15 January 2013 at 05:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cakes look lovely. I love the perfect swirl of meringue on top. Yum! xx

 
At 15 January 2013 at 05:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Stacey

 
At 15 January 2013 at 11:25 , Anonymous Evelyn said...

Your lemon cupcakes look yummy, as do all of your recipes. Must try them but would need to make the full recipe!!!!

 
At 15 January 2013 at 11:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah - that's another bit of technology mastered. Thanks for the lovely comment.

 
At 15 January 2013 at 12:36 , Anonymous Laura Loves Cakes said...

How fabulous...lemon meringue pie is probably my favourite dessert and I have LM cupcakes on my 'to bake' list! Yours look lovely...and I love the spotty cases too :-)

 
At 15 January 2013 at 12:57 , Blogger Karen S Booth said...

These are just glorious and such pretty little cakes! Thanks so much for baking them for Tea Time Treats! Karen

 
At 15 January 2013 at 13:11 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Laura - they were a bit fiddly to make but delicious in the end.

 
At 15 January 2013 at 13:12 , Blogger Unknown said...

My first ever challenge - hope to do lots more this year.

 
At 15 January 2013 at 16:48 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

Now you are just trying to tempt me - I love lemon curd.

 
At 15 January 2013 at 20:14 , Blogger Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

Your cupcakes look lovely. I love anything with lemon!

 
At 16 January 2013 at 06:07 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

These cupcakes look spectacular! The swirls are really gorgeous.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:25 , Blogger Unknown said...

I often wonder how you manage to look at all our blogs when you are restricting so many items from your diet.

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:27 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Dawn

 
At 19 January 2013 at 11:37 , Blogger Unknown said...

That's why I love this meringue mixture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home