Today is a bit of a sad day for me - my brother and his family have set off on the final leg of their journey to set up a new life in Adelaide - 10,000 miles away.
On one hand I am so excited for them but on the other it feels like such a long distance to be separated.
In my heart I know that we have many lovely holidays to look forward to both over here and in Australia but that doesn't help how I feel in the short term.
What's a girl to do when feeling down - get in the kitchen of course and what better ingredient to cook with than lovely, luscious chocolate.
These chocolate brownies are deliciously crisp on the outside and lovely and chewy when you bite into them.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Yield: 9 servings
- 100 g butter
- 100 g plain chocolate
- 300 g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g plain flour
- 2 tblsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Butter and line the base of an 18cm square tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well until blended.
- Add the flour and cocoa and beat for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-45 mins until a skewer comes out clean.